Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Coming Attractions

     I've been planning on doing built in bookcases in the office since we were in pre-construction. We love books! I wanted to use hardwoods and build them 'from scratch', but oh boy- are those expensive and labor intensive or what? I do not want to spend a large portion of my life sanding raw boards. So I'm thinking about the Billy bookcases from Ikea. I measure the wall, and figured out what it would accommodate. I figured out how I could get the most out of the space. After the bookcases it would take a bit of trim, a couple pieces of plywood and caulk, paint, etc to get it finished and pretty.

     Did you know Ikea has a page on their website where you can build your own bookcase system and see exactly what it will look like, the exact total measurements, and the total price as you build? Did you know they charge considerably more per bookcase for colors other than white? Crazy when it's all laminate. Paint is a beautiful thing. Especially paints you can use on any  surface without priming, like Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint. And, coming in June, Miss Mustard Seed will have her own line of Milk Paint as well. I can't wait! She's a great lady.


    I think Centsational Girl, did a great job with hers. I'm no Sgt. Rich, so I will not be growing my own trees and telling them to jump into bookshelf formation. This is sorta DIY, right? 

     Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Love built-ins! They give a house so much charm. Can't wait to see them in!

    ReplyDelete